Toms River City Guide
Even if you've never been to Toms River, the area is filled with a multitude of symbols: Island Beach State Park, Barnegat Bay, FirstEnergy Park, Downtown Toms River, the Seaside Heights Boardwalk, pristine sand beachfront, sailboats, soft ice cream, and on and on. But as potent as the city's presence in the imagination can be, there's nothing quite like experiencing it firsthand. Once you've taken a stroll on the Boardwalk in Spring and Fall or enjoyed the Breakwater Beach Waterpark on a perfect summer's day, it's easy to see how Toms River has been the center of family fun, beach nighlife, TV show and movie production.
Toms River for First-Time Visitors
You may crave an authentic, local experience, but you'll kick yourself if you don't pay a visit to these spots at least once.
Six Flags Great Adventrue: A bona fide American icon. Take the family to the adrenaline pumping rides in Jackson. Enjoy a waterpark and the safari if you're up for more adventure.
Seaside Heights Boardwalk: The country’s monument to sensory overload. Colorful lights, fun rides & games, a long wide boardwalk, incredible food, and more tourists than you could possibly imagine make this Jersey Shore area the best boardwalk of New Jersey.
Island Beach State Park: For a breather from all the hustle and bustle, step into the states beach oasis, protected in the 20th century by the State of New Jersey. Visit the beach, fish off the pier, and enjoy the relaxing sounds.
Downtown Toms River: An enduring symbol of family fun and great events for all generations, especially those who enjoy festivals.
Where to stay:
- Beach House Rentals at HC-55 & HC-121: Enjoy the summer with in your own beach house unit with space, style, and comfort. Units feature a full kitchen, off-street parking, and fresh bedding. Just bring your things and enjoy the privacy of your own beach house unit just 1 block away from the beach & boardwalk near the Breakwater Beach Waterpark and Hemingway's Cafe.
- Boardwalk Seaport Hotel: Wonderful 2-star hotel. Stunning views of the ocean and beach are the focal point here. Located on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, this hotel features rooms and suites for singles, couples, and even large families. Enjoy the Jersey Shore and stay at the center of it all.
- Days Inn Seaside Heights / Toms River: Highly-rated 3-start hotel. Located on Hiering Avenue, this comfortable hotel is just a short two blocks away from the Jersey Shore's best boardwalk and beach of Seaside Heights. Features include outdoor pool & patio, free wi-fi, Wyndham Rewards, and free Daybreak breakfast.
- Econo Lodge Seaside Heights / Toms River: Well-rated 3-star hotel. Enjoy fresh, comfy rooms with free Breakfast, free wi-fi, ChoicePrivledges rewards, and outdoor pool & patio area. The beach & boardwalk is just one block away!
- Motel 6 Seaside Heights / Toms River: Recently-upgraded 2-star hotel. Situated on Carteret Avenue, this hotel features all the essentials for a relaxing stay: free coffee, outdoor pool, and comfortable rooms. Enjoy the local attractions with the beach and boardwalk of Seaside Heights only two short blocks away.
Restaurant Guide: To feel like you’ve entered an entirely different country, head to this bustling neighborhood chockablock with vendors selling unusual foods next to restaurants serving up cuisine from pretty much any part of China you can think of.
Culinary masters: Go all out on a meal at one of Toms River’s and the Jersey Shore's many top-rated restaurants. Rivoli's Italians, Xina Restaurant, Shogun at Bey Lea, and Hemingway's are all stand-outs. Also find foodie favorites like Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, and Surf Taco for a delicious meal.
Toms River for Culture Vultures
In the city that is filled with fun, you’ll never run out of things to do. Cultural offerings are around every corner in this artistic mecca.
Downtown Toms River: Head to the many annual events including NJ State Ice Cream Festival, and NJ State Salsa/Chili cook off.
Ocean County College: Home to so many cultural events including Laser shows, the Robert J. Novins Planetarium, Theater shows, The Jay & Linda Grunin Center for the Arts, Jazz concerts, and so much more! Enjoy hearing the Garden State Philharmonic here too!
PNC Bank Arts Center: Voted in the TOP 5 theatres in America, the PNC Bank Arts Amphitheatre is a premier venue, with a mega seating capacity of 17,500, with the grass areas allowing for a whopping 10,500 people! The Venue has had some of the biggest music artists ever! These include: James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band, Jackson Browne, Whitney Houston, Taylor Swift, Drake... all of the best in all of music. With some huge festivals; Mayhem Festival, The Uproar Festival, The Gigantour, The Area:One and Area2 Festival, Ozzfest, Projekt Revolution, Crüe Fest and Crüe Fest 2. Lilith Fair.
Where to stay: Any of the featured hotels are just a short drive from all these wonderful events and attractions.
Toms River Beyond Local:
Island Beach State Park: Just nearby Seaside Heights, Island Beach State Park encompasses many miles of beach, with the northernmost of these having life guards. People can swim, surf, fish, and kayak in the park. The park also allows dune buggy access in the southern portion of the park. There is also a boardwalk extending from Barnegat Bay to the main road allowing boaters access to the beach.
Ortley Beach, Lavalette, Seaside Heights & Seaside Park: Trendy restaurants, Pristine beachfront, wide & active boardwalk, rides & games, and incredibly delicious foods can all be found in this area.
Lakewood: Home to the Lakewood BlueClaws of the South Atlantic League, the Single-A minor league baseball affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, this section also has many great golf courses to play.
Jackson & Fort Dix/McGuire AFB: Enjoy the annual airshow at one of the largest joint military bases in the United States. Jackson also is a destination for shoppers looking for special savings at the Jackson Premium Outlets with stores including Coach, Bose, and Fossil.
Barnegat Bay: Home to water activties that fun for everyone, the bay is host to thousands of boaters, fishing enthusiasts, jet-ski riders, and sailboat sailors.
Jersey Shore Premium Outlets: Home to water activties that fun for everyone, the bay is host to thousands of boaters, fishing enthusiasts, jet-ski riders, and sailboat sailors.
Where to stay: All the accommodation options above are wonderful to enjoy any of these areas. Rest in comfort at the featured hotels after a full day of activities.